Prayers for our Children

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Trip 2 - Day 7: These Little Piggies Went to the Market!

This morning we met Ron, Dana & Aaron at Pushkin Square at 11am to head to the Verniszah Market at Izmailovsky Park. Try saying that 10 times fast!! LOL!

In order to get there we took the green line metro 1 stop from Pushkinskaya to Revolutsii where we switched over to the blue line. From there we went 4 stops to Izmailovsky Park. (Side note for future travelers...technically there are 5 stops between Revolutsii & Izmailovsky Park but one stop was closed, so always know the NAME of your stop, not just the number of stops the map says are in between!)

The Verniszah Market is, in one word, HUGE!! Oh my goodness, it's just a maze of little stands and vendors, crowds of people, lots of Americans which surprised us, and good prices on all kinds of stuff which vendors will typically negotiate with you. From what I understand, this is the largest souvenier market in Moscow. I can't imagine one being larger than this one! There are rows of matryoshka dolls, Soviet military paraphenalia, a flea market, paintings...you name it, it's there! Ron knows a few of the vendors, and more importantly the best chef (meaning he's never gotten sick from eating this guy's food! LOL!), and he introduced us to those he knew. It was a fun day, I'm still stuffed from lunch, and we were able to pick up a few things to bring home with us. I can't say what, though, because that would ruin the surprise for a few people.

We got back to the apartment around 4pm I think, and have just been relaxing. I'm exhausted because I didn't sleep well at all last night. I was having bad dreams for some reason and am hoping tonight isn't a repeat.

Tomorrow Norm & I need to exchange currency again, pick up a few things from the elaborate grocery store across the street, and we might take a stroll down to Red Square. We can get there in about 10 minutes by walking straight down Tverskaya. We can see the towers from here so it really isn't far at all. At 5pm, we're meeting
Dana & Aaron, Becky & Keith (who arrived in Moscow today) and hopefully Ron at the My-My Cafe (pronounced Moo-Moo) on Old Arbat. Becky's blog cracks me up & I cannot wait to meet them in person!

We won't see Ilya again until Tuesday. I miss him and hope he's feeling better. Tuesday is also the day we switch apartments to one located on Arbat. I'm not sure what our schedule will be for seeing Ilya past Tuesday.

The slideshow at the top are just some of the many things we say today. I have lots of other pictures to upload from earlier this week, which I'll do a little later. Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Dede said...

Sounds like a day of fun! The subways are an adventure of their own. We made a few mistakes on our stops and never did figure out where we went wrong.

Ron and Dinia said...

Isn's Moscow beautiful this time of year! So glad you got a trip in to the market. Sounds like Ron is doing a good job as tour guide although he did forget to have your pictures made with the cooks! Good luck with changing apartments and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of Ilya on Gotcha Day!

Paka!

Dinia

ana said...

We wish we could have seen Moscow when all the flowers were blooming! Sounds like you had a good day, but I know you're missing Ilya and counting the hours. Hope the apartment switching goes smoothly.

Joy said...

I think it is amazing the way we have all connected over the internet to share our experiences. Who would have thought that some of us would be able to meet in person too.
Joy