Prayers for our Children

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pay no attention to the mess in the background

Yesterday's snow day gave me a peek at what being a SAHM (stay at home mom) would be like for me & Ilya and I have to admit that I LOVED it. Every single minute! Yeah, I get to spend my weekends with Ilya but weekend's are full of running errands, doing laundry, cleaning...all kinds of stuff crammed into 2 days that during the week is nearly impossible to do after working 1.5 jobs and everything that has to be done Monday-Friday.

After we came in from playing in the snow, daddy went back to his home office to work and Ilya & I retreated to the basement to play. Ilya's new thing is putting on his bib by himself. Usually he does this to tell us he's hungry but yesterday he wanted to play superhero and wear a cape instead:


Norm & I are in the process of decluttering and organizing, so we recently bought a ton of the plastic storage bin things. I asked Ilya to help me clean up my office space, but first he insisted on checking out the storage bin to make sure it was sturdy enough and of good quality. He hung out in it for awhile and when his little head finally popped up, this is what I saw (enlarge the picture if you can to get the full static hair effect):

Bailey decided she had to make sure Ilya didn't have any food stashed in there that she didn't know about:

When Norm's work day was finally over, he came downstairs to find me, Ilya, Bailey & Bandit watching cartoons. Believe it or not, this photo was not staged!!

And neither was this one!! Check out the way Bay is eyeballing Ilya's wheels and her tongue action. "TASTY!!!!"

Obviously this photo wasn't staged either. This is normally the pose we get from Baysters. Lovely, huh?
So, I loved the SAHM sneak peek yesterday gave me. Then today reality stepped up and SMACKED me upside my head. Or maybe it punched me in the gut. Or maybe it ran over me with a Mack truck. Or maybe a little of all of that. Regardless, I have been up since 3am puking and I've been on lying on the couch in a fetal position much of the day. My body aches like it never has before and I am M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E. What do SAHM's do on days like this? I never stopped to think that you don't get sick days, mental health days, vacation days, time off for dentist or doctor appointments... You don't get to escape from your boss (i.e. your kiddo) when you need a little breathing space. What do you do???
Don't get me wrong - - if the opportunity does ever present itself for me to be a SAHM, I will jump into it full throttle and thank God for the opportunity to spend so much valuable time with Cubby. Today has just reminded me that I will need some sort of back up plan for days like this...which hopefully will never happen again but who am I kidding? Reality is what it is.
Okay, SAHM's here's your chance to offer your tips & suggestions, or to tell me to just suck it up! Whichever applies, I'm really interested in what you have to say.
Now I'm going to curl back into my fetal position. As I try to always remember, there is good in every situation. In this situation the good is that I can now curl up on the couch instead of the tile floor in front of the toilet! I'll just leave you with that mental image. You can thank me later.
Toodles,
Kar

8 comments:

Mark and Sinziana said...

Well girl, let me tell you that after a week sick, and finally starting the antibiotics yesterday to kick this sinus infection in the butt, life has been pretty HARD!! Diego is also sick, but his energy level never went down. I just tried to come up with games that allowed me to lay down on the floor, or turn on Elmo videos if I was ready to pass out! Without any family in town, getting sick and taking care of your also sick kiddo is pretty brutal, but we are surviving!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Yea, the S. A. H. M. thing would be great, wouldn't it? I had a glimpse last Friday--sitter had a family emergency. . .we went ice skating and life was good. . .whiny boy reminded me on Sunday that things aren't always golden. . .However, I too, would hop, skip and jump at the chance to do it full time! Enjoy what you get! Hope you're feeling better now and be careful on the ice!

Anonymous said...

there are pros and cons to working full-time at work and working full-time at home (sahm). i've done both. i have found the best balance is with part-time work outside the home and then the full-time job at home. working outside the home a few days a week is definately a mental break and a chance to be with the adult population.

Anonymous said...

i hope you feel better soon!

Carey and Norman said...

We luckily have grandparents to help when we are down and out. Not sure what to suggest if you don't have this option.

Loved the photos of you, Ilya, and Badger in the basement. The Elmo cape was cute too!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like you all had a great day at home together, but I'm sorry you got sick after it--that sounds awful! I'm also a full time working mom, and I think being a SAHM would be very rewarding and also require very hard work--I've also not ever thought of the sick days, etc. I hope you are feeling better!

Meghan, Bill and Nick said...

The pictures are wonderful! Ilya is too cute. I'm sorry you've been sick and hope it left as fast as it came.

Tag, you're it! You can check out the rules on our blog.

http://mbgemmilladopt.blogspot.com/

Jodi & John said...

I love the Hair!! Ilya is so cute.

You've been tagged!

See our blog for the rules:

babysteppeshome.blogspot.com