Prayers for our Children

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let's play a round of "Name that Stain!"

Is it....
The result of me trying to cook?
Dirt?
Rust?
Paint?
Magic Marker?
Dinner?
Make up?
Puke? (child or dog)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, and well, no.

If you guessed blood, as a result of Cubby's first real accident WHEN DADDY'S 1/2 WAY AROUND THE WORLD, you'd unfortunately be correct. Little man decided to hightail it outta there when he heard it was dinner time, and was gone before I could catch him. Perhaps he thought our stone fireplace would taste better than Nana's crabcakes, yams, potatoes and green beans, because that's exactly what he ended up eating when he tripped over his own feet & landed face first on the fireplace mantle. I thought he smashed his head at first and I was terrified. I had a brief moment of peace when I realized his head was okay, but then I saw the blood gushing from somewhere on his face (couldn't tell where because he wouldn't pull his hands away), and that's when I lost it.

Have I mentioned I don't do blood? Not mine, not Norm's, not Cubby's, not the dog's...no one's! So needless to say I didn't handle this well. Thank goodness Nana (Norm's mom) and Vuhvoo* (Norm's grandad) were here to lend a hand because there was A LOT of blood involved IMHO.

I noticed after I took the photo above that there is blood on the back of my shirt as well as on my shorts and socks. Poor little guy (and mommy). We were all surprised that he was able to eat dinner afterwards, but he actually did pretty good. Nana & I looked at it again tonight as Cubby was sleeping and he has cut his bottom lip both inside & out, and it's turning a lovely shade of blue/purple. He also has scrapes on his upper lip and his right cheek. As if all that weren't bad enough, we also noticed his pinky & ring fingers are cut, as well as the little webbing of skin between those fingers. Ouchies!

Ugh! First mommy lets him wear high heels, a purple cape and Mr. Potato head glasses and now this!! See what happens when daddy travels?! In all seriousness though, Cubby is okay and no significant damage was done. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. By the end of dinner he seemed to have completely forgotten about his...incident. It will, however, be etched in my mind and my now ex-favorite t-shirt forever.

Now that I can breath again, I guess I should get some sleep. No telling what tomorrow will have in store for us.

TTFN,
Kar

BTW - we had fun Skyping you tonight Norm! So happy you're okay and doing well in Manila.

*Vuhvoo is Portuguese for Grandpa, or in this case Cubby's Great Grandpa. This is how it is pronounced but I don't know how to spell it!!

Oh, and yes, we will take measures to childproof the evil fireplace mantle now!

3 comments:

ana said...

Eli has had a few of those. WAY worse for Mommy than for son! I know how traumatic it is!!!

Troy and Rachel said...

Oh man...I hope he's better today. I know Dnaiel fell and cut completely through his bottom lip last year and it bled like crazy. He has alittle white line there now that will probably be there forever. It seems like head/face injuries bleed the worse. I'm glad he was okay and able to eat. Glad you were okay too!

Dede said...

I remember the "first blood" incident here and I was a basket case. We ended up in the E.R. and he still has a scar from it. Glad both of you are okay. What a traumatic experience it becomes at the sight of blood!