Prayers for our Children

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Surgery Update

With all of the bad....stuff...I see every day working in our Prosecutor's office, it warms my heart when I come home and a blogger friend - a stranger really - has emailed me and asked how my little boy is doing. Or tells me they have been stalking my blog hoping for an update on his surgery last Thursday. THANK YOU everyone! And please forgive me for not updating before now. It has been an insanely crazy busy week. On to what you've been waiting for.

Originally, the surgery was scheduled for 10am, which as you may remember had me concerned because of the whole fasting thing. Well, the hospital was kind enough to reschedule it to 8am which was both good and bad. Good since Cubby wouldn't have to fast as long, but bad because we had to leave our house at 5am in order to get to the hospital by 7am. Ugh...

I don't recall which I was dreading more - - getting myself up that early, or getting Ilya up. Neither was going to be pleasant. As it turns out though, I didn't sleep that night anyway (anesthesia scares me because I have had real issues with it in the past). Waking Ilya up was a breeze so armed with my travel mug of coffee, we headed out the door expecting Ilya to sleep on the way to the hospital. I don't think his eyes blinked even once, much less closed to go to sleep. The boy didn't catch any additional Z's, trust me!! He laughed and giggled and babbled and sang the entire drive. So cute!

Of course, I stuffed my camera into our bag when we left the house so I was able to catch a few photos as we waited. Here's Ilya after the first sedative they gave him. I'm sure he was seeing 6 or more of everything in the room! Oh, and check out the super cute yellow socks! For some reason, those socks brought little tears to my eyes each time I looked at him. Maybe because they were so huge on him and reminded me just how little and innocent he really is. So precious...

Patrick, Norm's boss and Ilya's doctor, snapped this photo in the recovery room before Norm & I were allowed back. Poor boy.

And on the way home, he's still feeling the effects of his drugs...

But later that night he's back to normal and decided to read a book to Bandit Boy!
He's doing GREAT since the surgery, and we can definitely tell a difference in how he's feeling. I'll explain that tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know how well he is doing and how much we all appreciate your thoughts, prayers and support! Thanks again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well!

Over-Caffeinated said...

He is so precious... I forget how adorable he is every time I log in here I am reminded! :) Such a sweetie... I'm glad it went well. Will be watching for the update.

And just so you know, I haven't been commenting much lately on anyone because I am so short on time, but I am checking in every time you post. I have you on my blogroll so I get the updates! :)

Beth said...

So glad to hear an update on Ilya. Sounds like things went well. He is just too cute in those big yellow socks, Karyn!

Carey and Norman said...

Glad Ilya is doing well. And, I love the surgery photos...how cute are those!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad that surgery went well and he is doing ok! :) always smiling!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

He's such a trooper! I love the yellow socks. So glad to hear your little cutie is feeling better. He sure had a precious smile for someone who was having trouble with his ears. Pretty amazing really!

Joy said...

Oh I am so glad that it all worked out well for you and you little man with the big yellow socks. I agree anesthesia is scary.
Joy

Carol said...

Glad everything went fine. I checked every day for an update!