Washington DC – From a costume too small to a dead camera to a Rookie Mommy with possible cracked ribs to a teething toddler, one little boy’s 1st Halloween came eerily close to not happening.
The Rookie Mommy claims to have had good intentions when she and Rookie Daddy bought the super cute Tigger Halloween costume for their son…TWO MONTHS AGO…yet neither parent thought to do a test fit of the costume in the weeks or days leading up to Halloween. Genius that she is, Rookie Mommy waited until 4:30pm Halloween day to see how her son looked as Tigger and to try to snap a few quick photos before heading out for the evening. Imagine her surprise when she discovered those cute little Tigger pants had mysteriously turned into cargo shorts sometime between August & October. Shocked family members, friends and neighbors unanimously agree - - failure to consider the fact that CHILDREN GROW would only be made by rookie parents. Specifically, these rookie parents!
Oh, and those photos Rookie Mommy wanted to display proudly for years to come? Sadly, it’s impossible to take photos with a digital camera if the AA batteries are dead, and you have none to replace them. Rookie Mommy went so far as to take batteries out of every remote, phone and child’s toy in the house to no avail. None of the batteries had enough juice to document the Cargo Shorts Tigger outfit. According to Rookie Mommy, she was able to redeem herself, however, when she remembered the camcorder took still photos. The camcorder battery was also virtually lifeless, but held up well enough to take 7 photos before dying along side the pile of AA batteries sitting on their front walkway.
Rookie Mommy tried to justify both lapses in judgment by stating that Halloween wasn’t as important for her son this year since he is too young to eat candy (what??!!), that he may have been scared by some of the older kids’ costumes, and that he wouldn’t have been up to going to more than a handful of houses. She also cited the 4 new teefers trying to poke through as a major cause for her son’s grumpiness and his desire not to participate in Halloween festivities. That's it...blame the kid!!
Not wanting her son to spend his first Halloween with absolutely nothing to do, Rookie Mommy decided a trip to the Fredericksburg Family Fall Festival was in order, rather than Trick or Treating. While her son enjoyed his trip to the fairgrounds, Rookie Mommy had to cut the evening short when her possible cracked ribs started acting. The fairgrounds were extremely crowded, and not more than 5 feet from the main gate entrance, Rookie Mommy started feeling like a human bumper car from all the people running into her and poking her already pain inflicted ribs.
The following bootleg photos document this family’s attempt to capture their son’s 1st Halloween. Here’s hoping next year goes much better!
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Oh my goodness! What a wild day for you all. It always seems to me it is impossible to find batteries when you need them, and the digital cameras eat them very quickly! We deal with that alot, too. Tigger looked very cute, and it looks like he had a fun time in his costume. I hope your ribs are okay!
I have tears in my eyes from laughing! Aidan's costume, too, came perilously close to being too small. . .I read yesterday that these kids grown a lot the first year or two. . .catching up! Aidan is 4 inches taller than when we got home! Better luck next year! Ilya was adorable, though!
Hilarious. We had the same issue with the costume. Our dragonfly costume was long enough to cover the hind end two months ago....not so much Friday night. And...I'm not a Rookie parent. I think it is just trying to be the perfect parent and we all are going to overlook details or make mistakes.
Talk about being a Rookie mom....when our son was only a few weeks old, I changed his soiled diaper in the nursery. When I took the onesie off under his church outfit, I took it off overhead (instead of stretching the neck to pull it off over the hips and feet). Our son had a poop mohawk where the poop went up his back and over his hair. I had to use handsoap and the nursery sink to give him a good cleaning. And, no, I didn't have a change of clothes. Luckily, another mom (who had a baby girl) had a light blue pair of pants and onesie for me to borrow.
See, we all make mistakes and learn from those.
Even as a tiny Tigger, he was still cute! :) No worries, there are far worse Rookie Mama mistakes that could actually scar your kid for life... this one will go down in the volumes of things he will use later to invoke guilt on you! :)
O
That is so funny that the costume didn't fit! But, he still looks adorable!! Hope your ribs feel better!
I love those pictures.
Joy
Oh my - I laughed out loud during your post, but I hope your ribs are alright. Troy broke one of his a couple of years ago and was miserable. Take care of your self! Tigger looked totally adorable even if he was in cargo shorts, I mean pants!!
How funny! He still looked adorable in the costume and now you have a fun story to tell him of his first Halloween when he is older.
THat is the cutest tiget I have ever seen!
Hillarious!!! You crack me up but Ilya's pants crack me up even more. They are literally capris. Wonder if you'll put this story in the PPR?? :-)
This day will always be memorable especially since you blogged about it. :)
Your story made me laugh so hard because I can't tell you how many times we have raided the kids' toys desperately trying to find batteries to power something new they want to play with NOW!
Thank you for commenting on my post yesterday. It really brighted my day!
P.S. I hear Man-Capris are very fashion forward. Your little tigger is a trend setter!
Post a Comment