Prayers for our Children

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Conversations Daddy doesn't want to have

...when he's just landed in Chicago:

Conversation #1 - 11:30am EST / 10:30am CST
N: "Did you get your haircut?"
K: "Yep. Ilya got his cut, too."
N: "What??!!" (sounding quite annoyed and concerned - he has a "thing" about cutting Ilya's hair)
K: "Don't worry - it's not too short. It doesn't make him look any older."
N: "Hmph... We'll see. So what else are you doing today?"
K: "We're going to get lunch now and then we're going shopping."
N: "Shopping? For what?"
K: "Stuff." (My motto is that it's best not to give too much info at times like this)
N: "Hmph..." (not acting very supportive or encouraging)

Conversation #2 - 3:30pm EST / 2:30pm CST (Yeah, it was a long shopping trip)
K: "Hey! So, if you were a Phillips Head Screwdriver, where would you be?"
N: "Huh?"
K: "Sigh....If you were a Phillips Head Screwdriver, where would you be?"
N: "Here at the conference with me."
K: "GREAT! Grrrr...."
N: "Just kidding, I have others in my toolbox. Why do you need it? What are you doing?"
K: "Doesn't matter. Which toolbox and where?"
N: "Should I be worried?"
K: "Just answer the question."
Norm cautiously proceeds to detail where the extra Phillips Screwdrivers are, but he's obviously concerned.

Conversation #3 - 4:00pm EST / 3:00pm CST
K: "So, if you were a tape measure, where would you be?"
N: "WHY??????"
K: "Doesn't matter. Just answer the question."
N: "WHY????"
K: "It' a surprise. So, where would you be?"
N: "WHY???!!!!"
K: "Where would you be??"
Finally get the answer I am looking for & go about my secret mission.
For the record, I stopped short of asking Norm where the Ryobi Cth1802k 18v Center Handle Cordless Drill/Driver Kit was!

Anyhoo, what's with all the secrecy? Well, I may not be a cook but me & grandma can sure assemble some furniture! Check out what Ilya is getting for turning 18 months old tomorrow, 9/21/08:



(Side Note: Norm, you'll have to work on the chair your mom assembled. Mine turned out GREAT!! Your mom's, however, is suffering from some issues. Just to be fair, I'll admit that the first time the table was put together, all 4 legs were facing in different directions (my fault). I didn't think you'd notice, and that it added a little character to the table. Your mom insisted we correct my error though. Go figure...)

Okay, so the new baby gates weren't on Ilya's wish list, but they were on Grandma's! We assembled & installed 2, but one isn't exactly functioning correctly. Long story but guess what? Norm gets to fix it when he comes home from the Windy City! Norm, your "Honey Do" list is getting longer each minute!

And just for the cute factor, here are a few other photos from today:

Where's Ilya???
Hi Daddy! I love you!


5 comments:

Ron and Dinia said...

No matter what kind of day I might be having it's always better when I read your post! I know I have said it before but YOU ARE A WONDERFUL WRITER!

Dinia

Susan said...

Very cute and we have the same toy bins just a slightly different color. Way to go with the power tools. I would love to get Artem a little table like that. I'm sure Ilya will get a lot of use out of it.

I don't see much of a difference with Ilya's hair so Norm should be okay with it. Not too much of a shock for daddy on Ilya's first haircut. I guess Norm would hate the fact that Artem has now had 3 haircuts since he's been home. ha ha

Becky and Keith said...

I agree with Dinia - you're a great writer! :-) I'm so glad you got to play Bob Vila today and I must so I'm very impressed! Love Ilya's haircut - he's too cute!

Anonymous said...

I have a quick question- do you know what breed(s) of dog Bandit is? We rescued a dog that looks very much like Bandit, but all that the vet was able to tell was that she was a mix of some sort (maybe german shepherd/ something)I'm just curious to know... : )
Thanks!!

Shane & Marie said...

Your conversations are priceless! I am laughing while picturing the table legs on backwards. Let me know how Ilya does with the buckets. I have debated about buying that for Bryson but I can see him just dumping out all the buckets.