Prayers for our Children

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Great Spaghetti Challenge

Norm had to work late tonight so dinner was on me. How many of you are cringing at this thought??!! Being as far removed from Julia Childs as one could be, I stressed all day over what to prepare for me & little man. Now that I'm a mommy and have to really consider what I feed our son, I realized the ice cream I usually resort to on night's like this wouldn't cut it for Ilya.

I remembered that I've had some success with spaghetti in the past, and figured that would be my safest bet. Open a jar of sauce, poor it in a pan, boil some water for wheat spaghetti, break up the noodles a little bit, pop the garlic bread in the oven, wait 10 minutes and voila! Dinner in a snap. How hard could that be?

It all turned out pretty good but watching Ilya eat his spaghetti & applesauce was the highlight of the evening. He had a very messy blast, the dogs got a few handouts and I got a few snapshots.

Warning: These photos aren't for the faint hearted! Especially if you click to enlarge them! (notice the clump of spaghetti in his lap!)




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute. He is becoming a ham when mother's got the camera like a few others I know.

Anonymous said...

everyone needs pictures of their kids eating spaghetti. it is like a right of passage! he is a doll.

Ron and Dinia said...

Love, Love, Love the two tooth grin. Add the spaghetti and what an adorablte pic. When I see pictures like that it just makes my day! Adorable little guy!

Beth said...

Can't go wrong with spaghetti! As you know, I, too am cooking challenged - so last night we had tortellini! This requires an instant bath after dinner. Ilya looks like he enjoyed his dinner very much :)

Shane & Marie said...

Despite the mess, I think he enjoyed it.

Deb said...

Cute! I love the dog sitting patiently beside him just knowing that something will fall.

Carey and Norman said...

Loved the pictures. Nothing like a child and a plate of spagetti. Glad he is eating well and enjoying getting all the sauce all over him. Something not allowed before he came home. Our daughter still doesn't like to have her hands get dirty...even at dinner.

Karen said...

Karyn!
I havn't kept up with blogs lately. I so enjoyed the pictures with spaghetti.. a favorite at house too... imagine 3 little boys eating it.
Karen

Kevin T. said...

Hi Karyn,
He is so adorable! Those pictures are sooooo cute - Wow, he really loved that spaghetti!
I am once again blogging and just catching up with everyone.
Take care...Teresa

Joy said...

HE HAS TEETH! I just love those pictures of kids when they just get their teeth or when they lose one.
He looks so sweet.
Joy

Becky and Keith said...

He is just WAY too cute for words! I need to do the spaghetti deal too. We've done it in public (why, I have no clue!?) but have never had my camera. I'm so glad you were successfully able to make spaghetti and believe me - it looks yummy!