2: the social unit formed by a family living together
3 a: a familiar or usual setting : congenial environment; also : the focus of one's domestic attention
Courtesy of Merriam-Webster
At approximately 8:00pm on Saturday, May 31, 2008, Ilya began to discover the value of each of these definitions in his own life...ESPECIALLY #2!!
Welcome Home Ilya! Welcome home!
Ilya did great on our 10hr 40min. flight yesterday. He had a few "moments" but you know what? There were times on that flight when Norm & I were close to having "moments" of our own (and not b/c of anything Ilya did, but b/c of a few of our fellow passengers), so we certainly can understand and empathize with our little guy. All in all he did wonderful throughout his entire journey home.
He had a good first full day here and we hope he continues to feel comfy & safe. We're working on making friends with both Bailey & Bandit but at least Ilya didn't try to claw his way to the top of Norm's head when he first met them. There were tears but that's mainly due to our overly friendly Lab, Bailey, who literally shreaks when she meets new people. It's quite painful on the ears sometimes so I can only imagine what was going through Ilya's mind when he heard it the first time. Today, we had Ilya in the dining room and the dogs in the living room, with a gate separating them. Norm & I took turns on both sides of the gate, either holding Ilya or playing with the dogs to show Ilya that they weren't trying to eat us, so they wouldn't try to eat him. This technique seemed to work because Ilya started to relax his grip and make "ooo ooo" sounds through the gate. By the end of the day, Ilya was able to sit on our laps in the same room as the dogs and not be terrified. He'll let the dogs get pretty close but isn't so keen yet on the whole licking thing, especially on his feet. I think with time they'll all be the best of buddies. The dogs already love Ilya (how can you not??) and I think he'll soon be warming up to them as well. Thankfully he has no issues with our cats. The cats on the other hand, well, they're not as thrilled as the dogs with Ilya's arrival.
There's more to share and photos as well, but honestly the combination of jet lag and life with a 14 month old are taking turns tag teaming me. I'm heading off to sleep some of this exhaustion off. I'll post those pictures asap though.

16 comments:
Welcome home!! Now try to get some rest! Hahaha. I am so happy the flight went well. I am sure you are all relieved to be home. I bet Ilya is exploring and curious about everything. Take care and enjoy every minute!
Home. That is a great word. Welcome home Ilya! I hope y'all can get some rest. Our youngest is going on 3 and I cannot remember what a good nights sleep is like!
Congrats & enjoy your new family!!!
Welcome home! It is great to know that everyone is home safely and we have one more American citizen!
Welcome Home!!! I was so excited to read your posts while you were in Moscow. What great memories you have made! May God continue to bless your family as your wonderful journey continues!!
Tara Smathers
Welcome home! It sounds like day #1 at home was a success, great tips on the dog thing, we have 2 also and I have been wondering how to handle it. Enjoy the time together.
Congratulations and welcome home! We have two dogs also and when we brought our first son home in 04 and our daughter in 06 we had the same reactions (dog and children)! It took a couple of days and now they are best friends!! Little Ilya will get used to them, especially by doing what you are already doing!! Good luck and I really enjoy your blog!!
Welcome Home!! There really is no place like home!! Glad we have another new American Citizen amongst us!!
WELCOME HOME! It's so wonderful that you have your precious son home with you at last. We're so happy for you!
Welcome Home Ilya (and Karyn and Norm, too)! Glad the flight went well and it sounds like you are settling in. Jaxon was curious about our dogs at first, but not really into them. Now, 11 weeks later he is madly in love with them! Get some rest and enjoy your new family.
Wow--finally, WELCOME HOME!! So glad that everything went well with the flight. Try and get some rest. Talk to you soon!
Home Sweet Home! I bet you are loving every minute of having your little family together at last.
Enjoy him and rest up.
Joy
Don't worry, as soon as Ilya figures out that the dogs will eat any unwanted morsels left on his plate that mommy and daddy want him to finish, they'll be his best buddies. Plus, when the dogs figure out he's a trail of food, they will quickly consider him the best gift a dog could have! :) Our Golden puppy (2 years old and 85 pounds)is going to freak Mary Margaret out, I'm afraid. He's 90 pounds of excited lovin', so I get the whole squealing thing! :)
I am SOOOO happy you guys are home. I do appreciate the jet-lag, but seriously, you have some stalkers here who are jonesing for some photos! Now get busy! :)
Ondrea
Welcome home!!! I know what you mean about having "moments" on your flight with other passengers. :-) Get some rest and before you know it Ilya will be trying to ride the dogs. :-)
Welcome home sweet home! So glad you made it back without losing it on the flight, and that everyone is adjusting nicely at home! Oh my goodness, Ilya is so absolutely adorable! Sorry we weren't able to hook up in-country (did you get my e-mails?), but I am enjoying catching up on your blog!
Welcome Home, Karyn! I've enjoyed following your trip and pray that all continues to go well for you and your new family!
SueCQ (from IAV list)
I'm so glad you made it home safely. Hopefully the jet lag is starting go away! Can't wait to pictures at home!
Post a Comment