I join you tonight with a mix of emotions…joy and celebration for another wonderful day with baby Iliyah - tears and a heavy heart due to news I received from home today. As soon as we got back to the apartment and opened up email, I learned that a friend and co-worker whose labor was supposed to be induced today (after a full term pregnancy) tragically lost her baby. Having lost 2 children myself, I can empathize with her, and I hope her pain eases although I know it will never truly leave her. Unfortunately I don’t know any other news right now but will be praying for this family in the coming days. I invite all of you to do the same. I want to respect her privacy so I won’t post her or her husband’s name, but God knows who they are. Thank you for any prayers you do feel led to lift up for this family.
Given what happened, I feel guilty celebrating our day but I do want to update on Iliyah.
First, we have decided on his name which will be Iliyah Peter. The middle name of Peter came as a total surprise to me when Norm mentioned it tonight because we had never discussed Peter for any part of his name. When Norm explained why he wanted to use it though, it made perfect sense and gave me chills. Over a period of 4 years and 2 different small groups, Norm & I have completed the bible study “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat” by John Ortberg three times. Our 2nd go at this study started when Norm & I began seriously considering adoption back in August/September 07. Our 3rd go at it started in January 08 and finished the Monday before we left for Moscow. It’s a long story as to why our small group did this study twice so close together. However, I find it interesting that we began dedicating ourselves to adopting from Russia around the same time that we started this bible study for the 2nd time, and now our first trip to Moscow is coinciding with the end of our 3rd jaunt at this study. For those who aren’t familiar with this book, it’s about the story of Jesus calling Peter from the boat to walk on water with him amidst stormy, scary seas. (See Matthew 14:22-33). The study itself focuses on how Jesus calls us out of the boat sometimes to do things that are outside of our comfort zone. It also focuses on how we quickly we can sink when our focus isn’t on Jesus – which is what happened to Peter – and how Jesus can pull us to safety when our eyes are back on Him. That’s the short version, there’s actually much more to the bible study.
So tonight, Norm tells me he wants to name our son Iliyah Peter and I just kinda looked at him like “HUH??”. What he said next is what gave me chills, and made me high five him right here in the middle of our little Moscow kitchenette. Basically, he said that Jesus called Peter to walk on water, and he called us to do the same. Look how blessed we have become by focusing on Jesus throughout this entire journey! What better way to represent our trust in Jesus than to use Peter as Iliyah’s middle name. Wow… Okay, so maybe this doesn’t strike a cord with some of you but it definitely did for me and I am so proud of Norm having so much insight into this journey.
Neither of us slept well last night at all. Guess that’s what I get for bragging about how well we slept the first night! Some type of alarm on Norm’s cell phone went off at 2am and neither of us was able to go back to sleep after that. Grrr…
Our day with Iliyah started by taking him to have his passport & visa photos taken. Our little guy did GREAT on his first car ride despite being bundled up with about 20 layers of clothing PLUS a snowsuit. The poor boy couldn’t even really bend at his waist to sit on my lap because of the bulk going on under the snowsuit. For those of you paying close attention to this, you may be wondering why Iliyah was sitting on my lap and not in a car seat. Well, it’s rare that car seats are used here in Russia. Okay, it's actually pretty non-existant! I was terrified driving to the passport place but our driver did great and Iliyah wasn’t phased at all by any part of his outing. He cooperated beautifully with the photographer guy and it really didn’t take long at all. Fortunately for Iliyah's future ego, he didn't have any of the notorious green chapstick or multi-colored ointment cream on him for his first photo shoot. One mom wrote awhile back that it looked like her child had just eaten a green highlighter, and another looked like someone had painted her daughter with neon pink and blue paint all over her body because of the dermatitis she had at the time of her passport photos! Nice! Can you imagine how great a bribery tool that would be when the children become teenagers?!?
When we got back to the orphanage we were allowed to play with Iliyah for nearly 3 hours. He continues to charm us with his smile, his awesome laugh, and his super sweet disposition. This little fella is totally in love with his Papa which is wonderful. He fell asleep in Norm’s arms again and it was just too precious to describe in words. (Looks like Papa will be assigned to all nap & bedtime duties!!) I want to post pictures of this now but I can’t. Once again, I can give you a sneak preview though!
Given what happened, I feel guilty celebrating our day but I do want to update on Iliyah.
First, we have decided on his name which will be Iliyah Peter. The middle name of Peter came as a total surprise to me when Norm mentioned it tonight because we had never discussed Peter for any part of his name. When Norm explained why he wanted to use it though, it made perfect sense and gave me chills. Over a period of 4 years and 2 different small groups, Norm & I have completed the bible study “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat” by John Ortberg three times. Our 2nd go at this study started when Norm & I began seriously considering adoption back in August/September 07. Our 3rd go at it started in January 08 and finished the Monday before we left for Moscow. It’s a long story as to why our small group did this study twice so close together. However, I find it interesting that we began dedicating ourselves to adopting from Russia around the same time that we started this bible study for the 2nd time, and now our first trip to Moscow is coinciding with the end of our 3rd jaunt at this study. For those who aren’t familiar with this book, it’s about the story of Jesus calling Peter from the boat to walk on water with him amidst stormy, scary seas. (See Matthew 14:22-33). The study itself focuses on how Jesus calls us out of the boat sometimes to do things that are outside of our comfort zone. It also focuses on how we quickly we can sink when our focus isn’t on Jesus – which is what happened to Peter – and how Jesus can pull us to safety when our eyes are back on Him. That’s the short version, there’s actually much more to the bible study.
So tonight, Norm tells me he wants to name our son Iliyah Peter and I just kinda looked at him like “HUH??”. What he said next is what gave me chills, and made me high five him right here in the middle of our little Moscow kitchenette. Basically, he said that Jesus called Peter to walk on water, and he called us to do the same. Look how blessed we have become by focusing on Jesus throughout this entire journey! What better way to represent our trust in Jesus than to use Peter as Iliyah’s middle name. Wow… Okay, so maybe this doesn’t strike a cord with some of you but it definitely did for me and I am so proud of Norm having so much insight into this journey.
Neither of us slept well last night at all. Guess that’s what I get for bragging about how well we slept the first night! Some type of alarm on Norm’s cell phone went off at 2am and neither of us was able to go back to sleep after that. Grrr…
Our day with Iliyah started by taking him to have his passport & visa photos taken. Our little guy did GREAT on his first car ride despite being bundled up with about 20 layers of clothing PLUS a snowsuit. The poor boy couldn’t even really bend at his waist to sit on my lap because of the bulk going on under the snowsuit. For those of you paying close attention to this, you may be wondering why Iliyah was sitting on my lap and not in a car seat. Well, it’s rare that car seats are used here in Russia. Okay, it's actually pretty non-existant! I was terrified driving to the passport place but our driver did great and Iliyah wasn’t phased at all by any part of his outing. He cooperated beautifully with the photographer guy and it really didn’t take long at all. Fortunately for Iliyah's future ego, he didn't have any of the notorious green chapstick or multi-colored ointment cream on him for his first photo shoot. One mom wrote awhile back that it looked like her child had just eaten a green highlighter, and another looked like someone had painted her daughter with neon pink and blue paint all over her body because of the dermatitis she had at the time of her passport photos! Nice! Can you imagine how great a bribery tool that would be when the children become teenagers?!?
When we got back to the orphanage we were allowed to play with Iliyah for nearly 3 hours. He continues to charm us with his smile, his awesome laugh, and his super sweet disposition. This little fella is totally in love with his Papa which is wonderful. He fell asleep in Norm’s arms again and it was just too precious to describe in words. (Looks like Papa will be assigned to all nap & bedtime duties!!) I want to post pictures of this now but I can’t. Once again, I can give you a sneak preview though!
Traffic was ridiculous on the way back to Moscow. R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S!!! It took forever to get here and both Norm & I fell asleep in the car. We ended up using the rest of the afternoon for the touristy stuff…walking around Red Square, taking the obligatory photo at St. Basil’s, etc. We also visited the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour where we lit a candle for Iliyah and purchased a small icon of the Prophet Iliyah (Elijah in English). We then went to a souvenir shop and pick up a few things for our new family. Traffic again didn’t cooperate from the shop to the apartment but we finally did make it. Here are a few touristy photos that I can share!
So, that was our 3rd day in Moscow! We have to stay put in the apartment this evening as we wait for a courier to stop by to pick up copies of our passports and visas to register at the police station tomorrow. This was supposed to be taken care of today but apparently the apartment manager showed up after we left this morning and forgot his key at home, so he couldn’t get in to get our copies & payment. Registering at the police station must be done within 3 days of arriving in Moscow so I’m really hoping this is taken care of tomorrow so we don’t get in trouble.
We meet “K” and “A” again at 10:15 tomorrow morning to make our way back to Iliyah. We’ll have some paperwork to do at our agency’s office in the afternoon so I’m not sure what time we’ll be getting back to our home away from home. A post will definitely make it’s way to the blog though! Unless we're tossed away, never to be heard from again, due to the aforementioned police registraton issue....

13 comments:
I'm so glad things are going well for you!! I love the name you picked out and the reason also gave me chills! God truly blesses us if we'll just let go and trust in Him!! Congrats on your little one!!
Glad you are doing okay and I love the name you chose. Your son will be proud of that name. Enjoy the rest of your stay there.
Love the name you and Norm chose for Baby C. It is truly special and from the heart! We are so glad to hear things are going well. We would still love to get together while we are both here in Moscow. Let us know what your plans are for the rest of the week - we will be back at the Royal tomorrow.
I love that you are keeping his Russian name!! I'm sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Randy and I endured 6 years of infertility and doctor after doctor scratching their heads not being able to figure out why we couldn't get pregnant but we always said, "thank goodness we've never had to endure the pain of losing a child". I will keep that family in my prayers.
Have you switched to the Double Decker yet? I think I mentioned that we got moved to that apartment and we were wondering how the place was.
What a wonderful day! I love the name. It has such a wonderful meaning. Enjoy your time as a family!
I love the meaning behind the name you have chosen. Glad to hear he has taken to his Papa and did so well in his car ride.
CONGRATULATIONS on finding your son!! I am just now checking in, but I have been thinking about you knowing you were to be meeting your referral. The way Norm chose his name just gave me goosebumps! What a blessing to have celebrated your birthday meeting him, and then getting the opportunity in a few days to celebrate his first birthday with him! I'll continue praying for you!
Love the name, and especially the meaning behind it. Sounds like things are going well for you (except for the traffic, but that is to be expected!)
It's wonderful that you had so much time with him today, and you got some great sightseeing done too! We got the icon of the Prophet Elijah for Eli too.
Enjoy tomorrow with your precious boy! And please give our best to K and A!
Love the name and the reasons behind the name gave me chills. How perfect! So happy for you guys.
Don't worry about your registrations as you have three working days to register. Your arrival on Sunday does not count toward the three days.
I'm so glad you had such a great day! LOVE the name - the meaning is just perfect. Great pictures from your travels - what a wonderful picture of you and Norm at St. Basil's! Enjoy your day tomorrow!
P.S. I'm so sorry for your friends. I'm sure they are going through a horrible time right now and they'll definitely be in our prayers.
You should post a picture of his feet (I love baby feet)!
I am crying just reading about the name you have choosen for you son. It will be such a special name and it will mean so much to be able to share the story with him. So glad that your trip is going well.
Post a Comment