Prayers for our Children

Saturday, March 1, 2008

New Found Appreciation

I have a new found appreciation for the families who only receive 1 week notice for their travel dates. How, how, how do you do all of this in a mere 7 days? It's insanity, craziness, scary, frustrating, nerve wracking, and oh yes, exhausting! My goodness...

Since my last post I've been dealing with a 2nd bout of the flu, 2 travel agents who don't return calls - thus "forcing" me to make my own flight and lodging arrangements (I really just wanted to see if they could get a better deal than we could), creating our 2 "Who Loves Baby" albums, buying luggage, trying to make some sort of sense out of the mess called a Russian Tourist Visa, getting invitation letters for said tourist Visas, arranging a person in Moscow to register said tourist Visas, getting money orders for said tourist Visas (can you say "ouch" for my wallet?), making lists of everything else we need to do and buy, making lists for the lists of everything else we need to do and buy, coming up with back up pet care in case our first plan falls through, trying to find out more about the Russian metro system since we're going to be pretty far from the center of Moscow and all the touristy stuff, praying that our flight on Aeroflot is both uneventful and safe, praying Aeroflot allows our new luggage to reach Moscow at the same time that we do, researching camcorders since we don't have one but would really like one, trying to track down "new" cash to carry over with us, interviewing international doctors via email to visit the orphanage with us, emailing a person in our community who volunteered to make cryllic labels for our "Who Loves Baby" albums so Baby C's caregivers know who all the people in the album are.....and lots, lots more. Oh, most importantly I found an international hairdryer at Wal-Mart today so that issue is taken care of as well!! Yay! (I MUST have a hairdryer if nothing else.)

If the paragraph above didn't make your eyes go all googley, you saw that we're flying on Aeroflot. Yeah...little scared about this I'll admit. At least it's a nonstop flight and was significantly cheaper than the other airlines. We got both our tickets for just a little more than the cost of one ticket on other airlines.

As far as lodging, we're renting 2 apartments from Peace Travel. Why 2? Well, we'll be in the first one for our first night only and then have to switch to the other for the rest of our stay. There is a convention of some sort in Moscow the week we'll be there so lodging was scarce. The first apartment we're staying in, the Double Decker, seems kinda cool and in a good area. I'm a little nervous about the 2nd one, the Loft Suite, only because it seems like it's in no man's land. Oh, and the decorator was apparently going for an Austin Power's look. Hmmm.....

That said, at least we'll be in the same country and region as our child! It could definitely be worse. We'll just have to make the best of it. I do like the balcony that the Loft has, and the park it overlooks seems very nice.

There is still a lot to do and I am just so grateful that we've been given a little extra time to take care of everything. For those waiting for travel dates, don't procrastinate when it comes to packing, making plans for you house, home & pets, etc. Once you get "the call" you're going to be a crazy person trying to mark everything off your list!

10 comments:

Heather & Jason said...

Karyn,
I know you are stressed right now, but I admire everyone who has been through he travel preparations you described in your blog. Somehow it all works out. Try to take a little time for your self to rest up before you go. Maybe a nice bubble bath or something relaxing. Remember there are many prayers being lifted up for you both to get through this with sanity.

the Horvaths said...

As you list all of this, I was thinking, whoa, did I forget this or that? That is a lot of stuff. You seem to be getting it all done... fairly well. I am sure you are freaking out but just think, after this trip, the next one or two will be cakewalks, right? I tell myself that anyhow. I think the second apartment looks very cool. You will have to tell us how it is location-wise. I was afraid to stray from that Arbat area, but we are not on that road either. Is is me or are those apartment booking fast? I have heard good things too about aeroflot, it's not all been bad, you will have a good experience, I just know it. You have a good attitude and that is a big part of it. Keep checking things off your list, one thing at a time, you'll get there!

Becky and Keith said...

You crack me up... that Austin Powers comment was great. :-) I am SO impressed with everything you have done so far! Even down to the details of making sure there are Russian labels on the pictures (thanks for the reminder!). Like Heather said, as soon as you have a slow down, take some time for YOU! The next week and a half will be stressful but one of the most memorable times of your life and you want to feel good to remember them all! As for camcorders - we have the Sony MiniDV camcorder (we bought ours in 2005) and used it in Paris. We like it a lot. I know Sony makes some now that don't have DVDs to burn to, but just save on a hard drive instead. Those are cool. You can't go wrong with a Sony! I think you'll be a-ok on Aeroflot. Denise is right - with your positive attitude you'll make the best of any situation! :-) Keep posting the details... you're helping me a ton!
Hugs!
Becky
P.S. Where did you end up getting luggage?

Beth said...

It all works out, I promise! And that crazy person you see in the mirror? That is you, for the next 18 years (at least)! Welcome to the land of almost parenthood - it is a journey like no other - you will love every second of it! Also, I got the map for you...you are a bit out, but we can certainly meet halfway for get togethers that week if you want.
You will be OK on Aeroflot, but pack an extra change of clothes or two in your carry on! So excited for you and Norm!!!! Only 2 more weeks!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Oh my goodness, you have been busy. Thanks for the advise of getting things done. I am now getting nervous so this has to be such a relief to have this done!!

ana said...

Kar, I remember that feeling SO well. It is stressful, nerve wracking, and exhausting. I remember thinking I couldn't wait to get on the plane, so that all the preparations would finally be over and maybe I could breathe! One thing that I learned - as much sleep as possible in the week before traveling would help so much. I didn't sleep enough before we traveled, and then we didn't sleep well in Moscow from the excitement and the jet lag. We're going to try to be much more rested before the next 2 trips!

It sounds like you've done a great job taking care of everything.

Ryan and Katie said...

Don't be nervous about Aeroflot. We flew United on our first trip and it turns out they use Aeroflot from Toronto to Moscow. It was a great flight. Brand new airplane. Very safe. ("Safe", to me, means we didn't crash!)

As far as luggage.... well... that was another story. Oh well. Make sure you pack a toothbrush on your carry-on! Have a great trip!

Joy said...

Kar,
That is good advice. I think I will start to look around at apartments just in case I get the call sooner then I think I might.
I read some where that the travel space bags worked well. I found them at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Joy

Ryan and Amy said...

I read your first paragraph aloud to my hubbie and then said...oh - remember that (with a long sigh). It IS exhausting, scarey...all those things you said - but this time shall pass and one day you'll be reading someone else's blog recalling the trials and then looking at that beautiful child who waited for you in the end. Until that moment...hang in there! Oh - and we took Aeroflot and loved them.

Anonymous said...

Breathe, breathe! I was also FRANTIC with preparations before Trip 1, but CSS takes really good care of you over there--our awesome translator literally held my hand crossing the street :-). All the best, and will be watching for updates! Sally