Prayers for our Children

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lucky 13

On October 12, 1994 a young Airman sporting lovely BCG’s (a.k.a. birth control glasses!) reported for duty in the Andrews Air Force Base Flight Medicine Clinic. Excitement and nervousness quickly built as she approached the counter at her first permanent duty station. Having the BCG’s on didn’t help matters any…and she was mentally kicking herself for breaking her regular glasses that morning. If you know anything about the military, you know that the issued eyeglasses are far from fashionable. F-A-R!!

Not quite knowing what to say, she rapidly blurted out the expected USAF reporting statement:
“AirmanChoatereportingfordutySir!” To which the very serious looking young man behind that counter busted out laughing and said “Uh, yeah...okay. Let me show you around.” I guess her reporting statement was a bit too formal…

He immediately took her under his wing after that first meeting, and has taken care of her ever since. By day two, they were best friends. By December 1994 they were dating exclusively. And on August 19, 1995 they said “I Do!”.

The young Airman sporting fashionable BCG’s and reporting for duty? Me…

The serious looking Airman behind the counter? Norm. My best friend, my husband, my soulmate.

Today we celebrate our 13th Anniversary and I can honestly say that I love my husband more today than when we took our vows. Our commitment to each other grows deeper with each passing day. It is somehow so much sweeter now and grows sweeter each day. I guess this is due to the fact that while the “newness” obviously wears off after 13 years, that length of time proves to us both just how committed we are to each other, our marriage, our friendship, and now our family of 3!

Happy Anniversary Norm! I love you and am so lucky to celebrate this and every day with you!

I hope you all enjoy a little slideshow of us - through the years!


Click to play Through the Years
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

13 comments:

Amy said...

Awwww - very sweet! Love the slideshow. Congrats and Happy Anniversary! Nice to share it with the little guy this year!

Anonymous said...

As always, beautifully written! Congratulations!!

Ron and Dinia said...

Happy Anniversary! You are such a gifted writer!

Ron and Dinia said...

Happy Anniversary! You are such a gifted writer!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Congratulations on 13 years of marriage! I loved the slideshow!

Carey and Norman said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Too sweet. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the pictures.

Let me say the "Who" pictures are perfect. That is hilarious that you can get it to stand up that high. Very sweet!!

Shane & Marie said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved the slide show of pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Congratulations! I have tears in my eyes from what you wrote!
Stacy

Janine said...

Ah..what a great life story together. Congrats on 13 years!!

Susan said...

Happy Anniversary Norm and Karyn! Great day for an anniversary, the 19th is Randy's birthday. Karyn, I can totally picture you saying that to Norm.

Deb said...

Great slideshow. So you guys like being outdoors. I like the pic in Fredricksburg best. But I must say you always looked happy but your smiles got 10 * bigger once you met your son.

Happy 13th!

Becky and Keith said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved the slideshow and let me tell you - you look just as young now as you did 13 years ago!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Karyn,
I got chills from what you wrote - So cute how you guys met! The pictures are great - Happy Anniversary!
Teresa