Prayers for our Children

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Forced Multi-Tasking

Sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. And sometimes you have to laugh at yourself just as hard as others would if there were a hidden webcam somewhere in your home, capturing all your finer moments for the world to see. (And of course laugh at!) The following juggling act took place in the Center Ring of my basement from 4:30-4:45 this afternoon.

- Left hand: Feeding Ilya his afternoon blueberry yogurt snack
- Shoulder: Used to balance the phone as I try to hear whatever Norm is trying to say over all of Ilya’s VERY LOUD (and super cute) chatter!
- Right hand: Net surfing for Norm since he didn’t have internet access at the time; United site to check him in to his flight tomorrow, SeatGuru to make sure he has a good seat, and two other sites that have something to do with holistic medicine. Unfortunately I totally forget what I was supposed to be looking at for him!!
- Left foot: trying to keep 135 lb. Bandit away from Ilya’s yogurt
- Right foot: trying to keep 85 lb Bailey away from aforementioned yogurt (the “pups” learned his highchair is the place to be after the Gerber Graduate fiasco yesterday)
- No extremities left: have to resort to using a straw instead of a spoon to slurp up my microwaved & smooshed up ice cream since I had no other way to feed myself!

Tickets will be available for the next showing, so be ready to order them! I’ve always considered myself a great multi-tasker, but this required a finesse I didn’t know I was capable of.

Oh, and as far as the microwaved/smooshed up ice cream. I posted about this before, but it is my comfort food which I definitely needed today. And yes, the ice cream MUST be smooshed up or else it just isn’t the same.

Around 5pm, Norm’s mom gave me a quick call just to check in. When the phone rang I was in our laundry room in the process of cleaning the cat’s 2 litter boxes. Prior to today I’ve been successful at keeping Ilya out of and uninterested in the litter boxes. I literally had my back turned on him for 2 nanoseconds…long enough to only pick the phone up from the counter & turn back around. Guess where I found Ilya? If you said “litterbox” thankfully you are wrong! Heehee! Did I fool you? Maybe just a little?

He was sitting on the laundry room floor and had somehow managed to flip his mesh laundry basket up and over himself. It became a tent of sorts. He was trapped in it and making blowfish faces on the mesh sides! Very cute!

There’s more of today to post about, but obviously both Ilya & I survived. We had a few struggles this evening but overall it was a much better day than yesterday. No sippy cup mishaps, wardrobe malfunctions, Farmer Joe’s, missing teachers, etc. Yay!!

THANK YOU everyone who sent me encouraging comments and/or emails yesterday & today. Many of you shared memories from your child’s first day of daycare, or your own daycare/childcare fears. And wouldn’t you know it, that post resulted in offers from 2 people to watch Ilya for us! TWO!! How exciting is that? Too bad Susan lives in Texas, Anna in South Carolina, and we’re in VA or else we’d be set and worry free! LOL!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Okay it's like 12:50 am for me but before I head to bed I had to see how your day went. LOVE your multi-task story and I will certainly buy tickets for the next show! I'm glad to hear today was better than yesterday.

Kevin T. said...

Hello - I was cracking-up reading about your multi-tasking. Very cute! I am just catching up on blogs. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. We are in a bit of a pickle, but hopefully we will figure out something soon.
Take care and I am so glad you are all doing well.
Best wishes...Teresa

Tina said...

I live in VA!! Unfortunately - I hve to keep working so we can afford our own adoption. Good multi tasking mom - I can't wait to be there myself!!!

Shane & Marie said...

Wow! You are a super woman. Can I please have front row seats to the next available showing?