...when your husband yells for help as he's changing your son's first diaper of the day. And while we're on the subject, let me just say that discovering your child may either (a) be lactose intolerant or (b) have a milk allergy, is NOT a fun way to start off your weekend. Trust me. It's definitely a SMELLY way but not a FUN way!
This was a double/triple/quadruple diaper, multiple outfit, multiple crib sheet and multiple loads of laundry type of day. Ugh. Oh yes, in the midst of all that fun, we (well, I) also had the chance to scrub a few poop clumps off the carpet and we (well, Norm) scrubbed pooh off Ilya for the umpteenth time. Yay us! :-)
Question for my loyal readers - - how in the world can something so stinky and so voluminous come out of such a cute and little boy??!!
So why are we just now discovering this problem if Ilya's been home for nearly 3 months? To start, the boy has always acted as if milk was the root of all evil. We've been beyond unsuccessful in our attempts to get him to drink anything milk related - whole, skim, chocolate, strawberry, caramel, soy - didn't matter. He would tolerate a scarce amount in his cereal but that was it. We've been supplementing calcium with Pediasure, Yo Baby yogurt and liquid yogurt.
Now that he's getting settled into daycare, I think he's been feeling pressured to keep up with the other kids in his class. (The whole daycare issue deserves its own post though.) I may have mentioned a few posts back that Ilya hated his sippy cup before starting daycare, and now he practically begs for it and throws a short albeit major fit when you take it away or he reaches the end of his drink. So, I can only think that he saw the other kids walking around with their sippy cups and decided he wanted to be a big boy also. Daycare only offers milk or water to the kids. Remember, in Ilya's world milk was close to poison! My best guess is that he finally decided to give milk a try - - maybe to impress his new little girlfriend Victoria, or perhaps in an effort to grow as tall as she is since she's an Amazon woman compared to him! Whatever the reason, he started drinking it in larger amounts recently and wow, are we paying for it!
Daycare called yesterday & said we had to pick up Ilya "immediately" because he had multiple bouts of diarrhea and had gone through his original and backup outfit. I've lost count of the number of blowouts and outfits we've had since bringing him home early yesterday.
**edited to add that before we realized it could be some type of dairy sensitivity issue, we gave Ilya milk to drink at dinner yesterday and again this morning at breakfast. Apparently, that may not have been a good idea."
Let me say that yes it is possible he has some type of stomach virus or whatever going on, but other than the whole poop issue he acts fine. He does not have a fever, doesn't seem like he feels bad, is playful and relatively happy, etc. He has been bloated and very gassy for a few days, and after doing a bit of research and comparing symptoms, looking at Ilya's past history, and not being able to get to the dr. until Monday, for now we're going with some sort of dairy sensitivity to explain what's going on.
In the interim, we're cutting him off from milk/dairy and will stick with Pediasure, juice and water to see what happens. In the meantime, if you'd like to contribute to our Huggies Diaper Fund please email me! After today, our local landfill may decide to start charging us a storage fee since it takes some crazy amount of time for disposable diapers to decompose (I heard anywhere from 250-500 years??!!).
My washer is mocking me to throw just one more pile in, and my dryer is beckoning me to come and fold Ilya's latest load of onesies and shorts. So I'll spare you from having to read more. I'm sure you've never been so happy for a blog post to end! Aren't you glad you checked in tonight?
Kar
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh Karyn - as horrible as it sounds, you did make me laugh! We had the same issue with Luca and peaches - it is not a time I wish to remember. I hope Ilya isn't suffering to much and you guys get a poop break soon.
Gross!! Artem can only have one cup of milk a day or the same thing happens to him. He can eat all the cottage cheese, yogurt and cheese in the world and not get diarhea, but ONLY one cup of milk or he gets the blowouts.
Have you tried goat's milk or soy?
so sorry! that doesn't sound like fun.
if he likes the taste of milk lactaid works wonders if is an intolerance not an allergy. just a thought.
Okay, I have to agree with your assessment of Ilya's diagnosis of the milk allergy. Being lactose intolerant myself, I can tell you that what you are experiencing is the true signs of having milk allergies. Your body does go through a reaction to the allergent where your body will reject the milk causing cramps, gas, etc. I really have to watch eating out as it is amazing how many items are cooked in milk and butter. Usually if it is boiled or baked for extended periods of time, you are good. Not so with fresh milk, butter, etc. Just remember that when preparing foods too.
More info than you ever wanted to know about me, but I thought I'd share as I wasn't allergic until I was about 26 years old.
Wow. . . My neighbor told me that our conversations would be mostly about poop. I didn't really believe her. Then, one day, I realized we were talking about poop pretty much everytime we talked. . .sad when it is during dinner! Bless you. I pray that this too will pass. . .no pun intended! Really. : )
Stacy
Well, I guess you are really getting a crash course in parenting, aren't you? I think you've handled almost as much stuff in these past few months as I have in the 27 years I've been a Mom! However, you really haven't lived until you wake up one morning to find they have "played" in it!
And as far as the surgery goes, I know what dilemma you went through. I walked into the nursery the day after Anthony's was done while they were performing it on another child. I almost passed out, and I was still freaked out 4 years later when Alex came along. However I will tell you that I still think it was the right decision because there are somethings and ways that men/boys don't want to have that are different. Junior High can be a tough time for boys if they are "unique".
Keep your chin up! You're doing a wonderful job!
Too funny! Our son and his bride will have a little one in December, and we rolled this weekend as he tried to describe how to change a diaper. Also, claiming that a baby would need 3-4diaper changes a day. Boy will their life soon change!
I hope the doctor was able to help but it does sound like a dairy thing. I've recently become a bit lactose intolerant and well, those symptoms are the same as mine.
Post a Comment