Prayers for our Children

Friday, April 25, 2008

Travel Arrangements - DONE!

In the crazy world of international adoption, I shouldn't be too terribly surprised by the arrangements we ended up making for Trip 2. I have to laugh at the fact that it turned out to be less expensive for us to pay for one set of airline tickets, wait in Russia through the 10 day wait period, and arrange for 21 days lodging (in Moscow, no less, during an expo/convention thingamabob!), than to buy 2 sets of airline tickets, make a total of 3 trips to Moscow and pay for 11 days lodging. Also, since our court date is Thursday, May 15, technically we didn't have to fly out until Monday, May 12. Once again, our cheapest option was to fly out on Saturday, May 10 and pay for 2 extra night lodging than to fly out on Monday the 12th. Oh, and the added benefit to flying out on Saturday the 10th is that we get to take Aeroflot again, which is nonstop, way cheaper and in my opinion, still way more comfortable than American Airline (not that they fly to Moscow though). The nonstop flight home will also hopefully make it much easier for Ilya as well. Are you still with me on this?? I'm sure I lost some of you on that, but my fellow adoptive families know what I'm saying. Okay, deep breath everyone...here's our final plan:

Depart Dulles Saturday, May 10 at 7:40pm on Aeroflot
Arrive Moscow Sunday, May 11 at 1:45pm (Happy Mother's Day!)
Stay in the Pushkinskaya Apartment May 11 - May 20
Visit Ilya May 13 - 14
Court May 15
Switch to the Anastasia Apartment May 20 (will be there through May 31)
Visit Ilya May 23 - 26
Gotcha Day - Tuesday, May 27 (the day we officially get custody of our son)
Outprocess May 27 - 30
Fly Home May 31!!! (Arrive on U.S. soil @ 5:40pm and Ilya is a US Citizen!!)

We received our LOI's (letter of invitation for our Visa's) from Peace yesterday, and mailed the packet to the Russian Consulate today. Hopefully we'll have our Visa's in hand next week.

We need to go through the process of getting our "new money" again. Oh joy! And I still need to pick up gifts for the orphanage director, Ilya's psychologist, and 2 folks in our Moscow office.

That's about it I think. At least I don't think I forgot anything.....

8 comments:

Beth said...

Call me crazy, but I totally understood all of that! Enjoy your time in Moscow...you've got lots of it! Wow, so great that you can get all the paperowrk stuff done so quickly. We also got it all done in 4 days..so it is possible. Can't wait to follow along on your journey back to Ilya!

Joy said...

Okay I think I may put you in charge of my travel arrangements (LOL). It seems that you have this down to a science. I bet Russia will be beautiful at that time of the year.

PS What a cool way to spend Mother's Day.
Joy

Troy and Rachel said...

We wished we could have flown Aeroflot on trip 2 although Delta turned out just fine. Sounds like you have it all under control. I'm still so happy your going back so soon.

Kevin T. said...

It defintiely sounds like it will be worth it to stay for the 10-Day waiting period! Wow, May 10th will be here before you know it!! How exciting!!!

Deb said...

Congratz on the court date. That's wonderful news. Glad everything is coming together.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Karyn,
You are tagged! I chose you as one of my 3 people to tag. Please post 6 things on your blog that are a little quirky or unusual about yourself, and then tag 3 other people. Have fun!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like you have everything organized and under control! It will be here before you know it!

Melissa said...

congrats on your new news.