Prayers for our Children

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Daddy’s Say the Cutest Things!

Yesterday morning, Norm & I headed to Costco to pick up some food for our return trip to Moscow (bring on the Ramen Noodles, Easy Mac, instant mashed potatoes, granola bars and tuna – Mmmmm!!). We obviously can’t pack enough food for our entire 21 day trip, but we will definitely be able to save a little money again. Anyway, our Costco is located in a mall and doesn’t open until 10am. We got there early and decided to walk around the mall a bit to pass the time.

**Let me state my tip of the day here: Avoid taking a “leisurely stroll” through your mall if you are an adoptive parent trying your best to avoid “retail therapy”!**

Anyway, we’ve wanted to find a little pair of sunglasses for Ilya. My eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight and I would hate for our little man to be blinded by the glare if it turns out his eyes are as sensitive as mine. We stopped by the Gymboree store (mistake!) and told the sales assistant what we wanted. She pulled out 2 different buckets and helped us find a pair for ages 0-2 years. They were olive green with a little monkey on the lens, and they were pretty cute. We had almost decided to buy those when she realized she had other buckets we hadn’t sorted through. Something distracted me – a super cute little pair of overalls with fire trucks all over them - and I stopped paying attention to the whole sunglasses conversation. Next thing I know, Norm has about 4 or 5 pairs of glasses out on the counter, with two additional pairs in each hand and pride all over his face, and he says across the store:

“Hey, Kar…which pair of these glasses do you think will match Ilya’s hair the best?”

uhhhh…‘scuse me - - match WHAT?? Ilya’s Hair?? Did I hear that correctly?

The sales associate and I were initially taken by surprise and then we started laughing so hard we both snorted. She said that usually it’s the mom who wants to make sure accessories match, but she had never heard of anyone - mom or dad - who was worried about glasses matching hair color! It was a very cute daddy moment for Norm, but the cutest thing is that he was absolutely serious and I think it took a second for him to realize why we were laughing.

I know you’re all just dying to hear how we resolved the glasses dilemma. Norm’s favorite color is blue, so we ended up going with a pair of navy glasses and chucked the olive green monkey ones back in the bucket. For what it’s worth, the navy ones were the ones he had in his hand when he asked about Ilya’s hair matching them. I realize this may be on of those moments where you “had to be there” to truly appreciate it. Trust me…it was a very cute, very endearing moment!

6 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

HA! That is the cutest comment! I'd say Daddy is pretty excited! :-)

Kevin T. said...

That is so adorable! You both must be so extremely excited - I think that I will take your advice and will not take a stroll through the mall before our 2nd trip to Russia. The overalls sound really cute, too!

Anonymous said...

It has been a couple of weeks since I have had a chance to read your blog, but I am sitting here in tears after reading the ones that I have missed. I am so very happy for you two. God Bless you both!!!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

I love this!! I laughed so hard!

Dede said...

How fun! It's sounds like Dad is getting into the shopping spirit too! We did the whole packing food for our Moscow trip and it was definitely worth the hassle. It saved us money and we were just happy to have food we were used to.

Shane & Marie said...

Love it! That is too funny!