Prayers for our Children

Monday, January 18, 2010

Raising a Russian Redneck

Cubby came to our office the other day to provide some comedy relief for our co-workers. He is V.E.R.Y. animated these days and is absolutely hilarious. While he was running around like a wild child, one of our sales guys (who has a pretty thick southern accent) said:

"Dij y'all know u's raizin a Russian rayd-nayek?!"

In case you need help with that, the official translation is - "Did you all know you're raising a Russian redneck?!"

We hadn't thought about it much, but now that he brought it up, Cubby does seem to have a bit of a "twang" goin on these days. Here's a small sample, but trust me the list is pretty long:

Hay-uhnd (hand)
Pay-uhnts (pants)
Ay-unt (ant)
Bay-ugh (bag)
Nay-eel (nail)
Bay-ed (bed)
Thang (thing)
Gee-tar (guitar)

And the one I love the most:

I reckon!

Are you kidding me?! What 2 year old says "I reckon"? I just about fell over the first time he said that. The majority of the teachers at his daycare do have an accent, which must be where he's picking this up. I think it's adorable and am just wondering if it's time to introduce him to grits?! Yum!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

as soon as he says that he is 'fixin to do something' he is officially a southerner. :)

Ron and Dinia said...

How about using Ya'll! Ron had an assistant in Russia that actually went to school in Alabama and she would say Ya'll.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

One time last year, we were if we thought our daughter would have an accent when she started talking. DH said "Yeah, a 'Southern' accent!" BTW, our Russian Southern Belle LOVES grits! Ya'll just don't know what you're missing ;0)

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Guess I should have previewed my comment before posting. I meant to say "...we were ASKED if..."